Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K’s Balakote sector

NEW DELHI: Shelling and firing along the LoC in Jammu and Kashmir contined for the fifth consecutive day as the Pakistan army violated ceasefire+ in Balakotesector in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

“Pakistan army resorted to firing on forward posts along the LoC in Balakote sector from 0050 hours today,” a defence spokesman told PTI.

Pakistan Rangers also targeted forward posts and civilian areas along the LoC in Rajouri district+ on Tuesday night, while a similar assault with small arms, automatic weapons and mortar fire was launched in Nowshera sector earlier in the evening.

On May 13, Pakistani troops had pounded civilian areas and forward posts in Nowshera area+ with mortars, killing two civilians and injuring three.

The firing and shelling from across the border has affected over 10,000 people. Nearly 1,700 people have already been evacuated from the LoC hamlets hit by shelling from Pakistani side and shifted to relief camps.

The district administration has provided an immediate relief of Rs 1 lakh each to the next of kin of the dead and financial assistance to the injured, said Rajouri district’s deputy commissioner Shahid Iqbal Choudhary.
Pakistan violated the ceasefire along the Line of Control 449 times in 2016 as compared to 405 violations in 2015. 23 security personnel were killed in the two-year period.

 

Source: Times Of India

Share Now